Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas! How Can You Get What You Want for Christmas?

... or if you are not Christian, enjoy the holiday spirit. Manhattan is unbelievably romantic this time of the year with all the lights, Christmas carols, and of course the giant Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center. Come see it!

I love celebrating the holidays with my family. I feel like a baby kangaroo that's going back to its mom's pouch. Since my Mom has given herself the title of a main holiday-maker of the family, we follow the traditions of her ancestors. Honestly, I don't even think Dad knows how to celebrate. His family was never very united or affectionate, so he is happy to leave things in my Mom's hands and just help around. We made 7 meat-free dishes for Christmas Eve. We also have incense that the oldest person in the home has to light up and carry around the house to clear the energy. We normally make a traditional pie and stick small objects in it like a quarter or a piece of wood. We give each object a particular meaning, the coin is "money", the wood is "new home", etc. Then we bake the pie, spin it around with the pot 3 times and we all get a piece. The first thing you look for is your fortune for the new year. I made sure we put a wooden heart for "love" and a metal 4-leaf clover for "wish fulfillment." I really wanted to put more love-related symbols but was afraid to admit that's what I wanted the most. I'm dying to end up with the heart. Will let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment