Monday, January 17, 2011

Budget Fashionista

My Mom and I went shopping at an outlet mall this weekend. She usually takes my siblings too but this time it was only the two of us. Before we left, I had made a booklet with outfits I liked from Gossip Girl and celebrity photos. It is so cool that the fashion this year is so feminine, I love it. I picked most of my new clothes at Neiman Marcus and Off Sachs. We never shop at these stores, even at outlet prices, because they are still expensive. My Mom buys certain pieces from there for herself but only once or twice a year. I'd always been a Gap, Nine West, H&M kind of girl. Out of everything I bought, I'm particularly in love with a 1920's looking Betsey Johnson lacy dress and black Stuart Weitzman stilettos with a tiny bow. My Mom advised me to think of whole outfits instead of just pieces that I had nothing to combine with, so I bought black stockings with ornaments on them and a party ring with a big flower on it. I've never had clothing that makes me feel so sexy and grown up. I'm afraid to get it wrinkled or dirty, because it's so special to me. I feel like my Mom has noticed I've been venturing more into the world and have become more independent, and this is her way to encourage it.

I think clothes show belonging to a group. People of different ethnicities, professions, and socio-economic classes dress differently. Also people often start to dress like the groups they want to belong to (think suits and designer clothing). I still have an issue referring to myself as a woman instead of a girl but now I have the clothes real women wear. I am a woman and proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment